2010-10-19

Masked People

Hi Jiwon,

Haven't heard from you for some time, are you busy taking care of your kids? When will you bring them back to Korea?

I found out Korean really put a lot of efforts to remain their traditions. The city I am staying now is Gongju (公州). On the date of my arrival, there was a closing ceremoney of Great Baekje World Festival. My mates and I visited around and discovered a huge world mask collection in the exhibition mall. I believe the one I saw here may not be the biggest; however, I was impressive of the look in each of them. Some are really weird, I should say......

The first time I had a little knowledge of Korean masks was in Andong (安東)2006. I backpacked alone and found Hahoe village (河回村). It's truely beautiful and I spent hours to walk around. If I could schedule some days to visit again, I would like to sleep overnight and feel the sounds from the nature.

Simply I want to let you know how I started loving Korea and would like to know more this time. I wondered whether you have been to the places I went. Since you are in faraway England, I hope the writing to you wouldn't raise your sigh for homeland then.

I photoed many masks in the exhibition. Guess which is the one from Korea? I will tell you the answer later.


1 comment:

  1. I love these old masks. The quality of oldness...looks like real spirits reside in them or come to possess them any minute. they can somehow cross different times and different spaces and establish bond among them...

    ReplyDelete